Man who smashed up well-known Dublin pub and attacked barman avoids jail

A barstool was used to attack a barman in the incident
A barstool was used to attack a barman in the incident

A man who smashed up a pub and attacked a barman after the victim confronted him over stealing his bike has received a suspended jail sentence.

Craig Maloney (21) and an accomplice took the bikes belonging to two barmen in the George Bernard Shaw pub in Dublin city.

The barmen went looking for the bikes in nearby council flats and found the men standing with the bikes.

They confronted the thieves but then fled back to the bar when Maloney jumped up and kicked one of them in the eye.

Maloney and his accomplice followed them to the bar. The attackers picked up large glass bottles and threw them around the pub before Maloney attacked one of the barmen with a barstool.

Maloney of Cashel Road., Crumlin pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to theft and assault causing harm to Kevin Mangan at the Tom Kelly Flat Complex on November 25, 2011.

Maloney has several previous convictions for minor matters such as public order and road traffic offences.

Defence counsel James Dwyer BL said Maloney was a talented footballer but had to quit because he suffered from epilepsy. This led to him becoming involved in drunk and drugs. Counsel said his client wanted to apologise to all his victims.

Judge Karen O'Connor suspended a sentence of 18 months on condition he stay out of trouble. She said that if he did not take this chance she would jail him for the full term.

She noted that he had stayed out of trouble since his offending in 2011.

She also noted that he had carried out charity work for a local hospice and had co-operated with the Probation Services.

Maloney also pleaded guilty to robbery at Spar on Clogher Road a week later on November 30, 2011.

The court heard that gardaí were in a patrol car when they saw Maloney and a co-accused exit the Spar shop where they had just taken €358 from the cashier.

Gardaí shouted to the robbers who then approached the car with their weapons. Gda Cathal McGeoghan testified that he feared for his safety so he used his pepper spray on the men which caused them to run.

He gave chase as Maloney and his accomplice threw away the money. The other garda used the car to block the men's escape.

Maloney then approached Gda McGeoghan with the bar raised over his head before the garda pepper sprayed him again and got him to the ground.

At this point the man armed with the cleaver was swinging it at the other garda. He then advanced on Gda McGeoghan who was kneeling on the ground arresting Maloney.

The garda again used his pepper spray causing the man to flee. He was arrested a short time later.

Judge O'Connor imposed a sentence of two and a half years for the robbery. She suspended this prison term on condition he keep the peace and be of good behaviour.