Man who flung beer bottles at chipper owner to be sentenced

Man who flung beer bottles at chipper owner to be sentenced

A man who threw beer bottles at the owner of a chipper and subsequently fled to Australia while on bail will be sentenced later this month for assault.

Ethan Emmett (24), of Cappagh Drive, Finglas, Dublin 11, pleaded guilty in the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing harm in Finglas on March 31, 2011.

Emmett flew to Australia while on bail in 2011 and was only returned to Ireland in March of this year following his serving of a prison sentence in Australia for reckless wounding.

Garda Sergeant John Walsh told Elva Duffy BL, prosecuting, that Emmett entered the chipper in March 2011 at roughly 10pm.

Emmett, who was eighteen at the time of the incident, asked for a loan of a phone charger from the owner. When he was turned down he left the chipper, returning a short-time later with bottles of beer.

He asked to put the bottles in the fridge of the chipper.

The owner agreed to put two bottles into the fridge, but refused to put every bottle in the fridge.

Emmett became irate and started throwing bottles at the owner. He jumped onto the counter and repeatedly threatened to kill the owner, while shouting about “foreign bastards.”

He attempted to enter through the archway to where the owner’s family was located. The owner, fearing for his safety and the safety of his family, grabbed a small knife and Emmett fled the chipper.

Several of the bottles struck the owner, while others damaged the walls of the restaurant and the cooking facilities.

Glass shards from the smashed bottles also got into the food, forcing the owner to throw out everything he had prepared for the night.

The total damage done to the restaurant was estimated to be €2000.

Emmett was arrested three days later by Sgt Walsh. During his arrest Emmett said “I was out of my head and I didn’t know what I was doing.”

John Berry BL, defending, said that Emmett was released on bail and flew to Australia on a tourist visa and stayed in that country to look for work.

He received a five year and eleven-month sentence in Australia after being convicted in 2012 for an incident where he stabbed someone at a party.

While in prison Emmett took several courses, and was trusted to assist in the training of dogs to be given to veterans of the Australian army who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Emmett was deported upon the completion of his sentence and was arrested by gardaí at the airport when he returned to the country in March.

He has 30 previous convictions which mostly relate to charges when he was a minor. These convictions include assault, criminal damage and public order offences.

Judge Karen O’Connor adjourned the case for sentencing on July 28.