Man denies sending boy obscene Facebook messages

Man denies sending boy obscene Facebook messages

A man has invited boy to take part in an “obscene” act via Facebook.

The accused (42) pleaded not guilty to sexually exploiting the 16-year-old. He was sent forward for trial when he appeared at Blanchardstown District Court.

The man allegedly sent several indecent messages to the boy in one day.

Defence solicitor John O’Doherty told Judge David McHugh he had believed the case was “indictable only”, meaning it had to be dealt with by the circuit court.

However, State solicitor Mary Kate Halpin said the DPP had consented to summary disposal in the district court.

After re-considering, Judge McHugh accepted jurisdiction to hear the case if the accused admitted to the charge, but he entered a not guilty plea, opting for trial by judge and jury.

The man is charged with sexually exploiting a child at his home on June 19 last year by inviting him to engage in a sexual, indecent or obscene act.

The court heard the messages were allegedly sent between 2am and 3.30am on the day.