Man charged over gun and ammo 'affiliate of murderous feud gang in Dublin', court hears
A SECOND man has been remanded in custody charged over a gun and ammunition seizure in Dublin.
A car was searched near the Naas Dual carriageway shortly before 3pm on June 18 and gardai recovered a firearm and ammunition.
Another car was stopped at the Long Mile Road. Two men were arrested and both were detained under the provisions of section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act in Dublin Garda stations.
One was charged in June but the second man, Derek McGovern, 34, with an address at the South Circular Road, in Dublin was released pending a file to the DPP.
Today, after directions were received from the DPP, Mr McGovern was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of 14 rounds of Luger ammunition, a Glock 26 semi-automatic handgun and a stolen Volkswagen Golf car at Walkinstown Avenue on June 18.
He was then brought to appear before Judge Michael Walsh at Dublin District Court.
Detective Ian Pemberton of the Garda Drugs and Organised Bureau told the court that the father-of-two made no reply when charged. Det Pemberton objected to bail citing the seriousness of the offence and he told Judge Walsh that the accused was affiliated to one side of an on-going “murderous feud” in Dublin.
He said the firearms offence can, on conviction, carry a sentence of up to 14 years and it was alleged the accused was caught red-handed. He also objected to bail on the grounds the accused was a flight risk.
He agreed that the arrest was on June 18 but said charges could not be brought before now because gardai were waiting to get directions from the DPP. He also agreed with defence solicitor Anarine McAllister that Mr McGovern's passport had been returned to him within three weeks of his arrest.
The defence solicitor asked the court to note that her client was unemployed but has resided at his present home for six years and he has two young children with his partner, who lives at a separate address.
Pleading for bail, she said Mr McGovern had not left the country since June. She also asked Judge Walsh to note that the accused did not have a drink or drug problem and he did not leave the jurisdiction when he was aware it was possible charges were forthcoming.
Judge Walsh said the accused enjoys the presumption of innocence but he held that bail should be refused. Mr McGovern, who was wearing a black hooded top, grey tracksuit bottoms and black runners, remained silent during the hearing and has not yet indicated how he will plead.
He was remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on October 20 next. Legal aid was granted.
Another man is also before the courts in connection with the seizure. On June 20, Richard O'Reilly (31) of Windmill Road, Crumlin, Dublin was remanded in custody by Dublin District Court after he was charged with the same offences.