Man caught drug dealing after garda op on Moore Street

Moore Street
Moore Street

A man who was caught drug dealing by gardaí during a surveillance operation on Dublin's Moore Street in the run-up to the Easter Rising centenary has been jailed for four and a half years.

Garda Thomas McEvoy revealed that he and colleagues set up a general surveillance operation on the historic street last year and noticed Patrick Hyacinth (30) behaving suspiciously.

The gardaí got a search warrant for an internet cafe that Hyacinth was seen frequenting and seized cocaine worth almost €2,500 on a chair he had been sitting on during a raid on the premises.

Officers later found €98,000 of MDMA and cocaine at Hyacinth's address.

Hyacinth, originally from Nigeria, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to possessing the cocaine and MDMA for sale and supply at his Longwood Avenue home on South Circular Road, Dublin on March 23, 2016.

He has two previous convictions for minor drugs offences from 2005.

Gda McEvoy said he and colleagues found the drugs, a weighing scales, plastic cuttings, €8,200 cash and a number of passports with Hyacinth's picture on them during the home raid.

The garda told Fiona McGowan BL, prosecuting, that most of the drugs seized were MDMA.

He agreed with Michael Bowman SC, defending, that Hyacinth had cooperated with gardai by providing his real address on arrest.

He further agreed that the surveillance operation on Moore Street had not been targeting Hyacinth but had been part of a wider dragnet in the run-up to the 2016 Easter Rising centenary celebrations.

He accepted that the drug money received by Hyacinth had always been wired back to dealers in Nigeria via Western Union.

Mr Bowman submitted to Judge Martin Nolan that his client enjoyed no status in Ireland and would be sent back to Nigeria after his prison term.

He said because Hyacinth had no status, he couldn't get work in this country and got caught up in the drugs trade.

Counsel submitted that his client had been doing various training courses while in custody to improve his chances of being employed once he gets back to Nigeria.

Judge Nolan noted that Hyacinth was not at a very low level in the drugs chain but because he had no chance to make a living in Ireland, he had been desperate.

He imposed a four-and-a-half year sentence which he backdated to when Hyacinth entered custody in March last year.