Man appears in court in connection with death of homeless man
A 35-year-old man charged in connection with the death of a homeless man in Naas earlier this month has been remanded on continuing bail to appear again in October.
The case was adjourned pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions and the possibility of further charges.
Paul Gill with an address at Sarto Road, Naas, Co. Kildare is charged with assault causing harm to 58-year-old Patrick “Patsy” Kelly on August 22nd at Sarto Road.
At his second hearing, which took place at Cloverhill District Court today, Judge Alan Mitchell ordered Mr Gill to appear again on October 9th.
Mr Gill, dressed in a grey hoody, dark blue jeans and black runners, stood silently during the proceedings as his solicitor addressed the court. Judge Mitchell heard that other charges were pending and Mr Gill was aware of that.
There was consent to the case being adjourned for six weeks and he was ordered to appear again on October 9th next for directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions to be obtained.
His first hearing took place at Naas District Court on Monday when Det Garda Enda Coleman said a more serious charge may be brought. He had also told the court that Mr Gill was allegedly at the scene of the incident when gardai arrived.
Mr Kelly was unresponsive on the ground and it was alleged he had been punched and kicked, the court was told.
Bail in the sum of €5,000 was set and is subject to conditions including the requirement of an independent surety which had to be approved by gardai.
Mr Gill must reside at an address furnished to the garda, sign on three days a week at a Garda station, surrender his passport and carry a mobile phone which is GPS tracked and switched on at all times.
Mr Gill cannot contact witnesses and must stay out of Naas except if required for court appearances.