Man accused of IRA membership refused bail
A Cork man accused of IRA membership has been refused bail by the High Court.
Sean Walsh (50) of St John's Well, Fair Hill, Co Cork is charged with membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise Oglaigh Na hÉireann, otherwise the IRA on December 14th, 2016.
Mr Walsh had sought bail in the High Court on Monday.
However, the State objected to the application.
At the bail hearing, Detective Sergeant Patrick Murphy fromAnglesea Street Garda Station in Cork told Mr Ronan Prendergast BL for the State, that he was objecting to bail because of the "seriousness" of the charge.
Det Sgt Murphy also told the court he believed that if the applicant was released on bail it could result in further serious offences being committed.
The court also heard evidence from Chief Superintendent Barry McPolin, who said that his objection was based on Section 2A of the Bail Act.
The section allows a Chief Superintendent give evidence that the refusal of bail is necessary to prevent the commission of a serious offence.
Mr Justice Paul Coffey said this matter was last before the court on February 10 this year when the court refused bail and there had been no “material change” in the circumstances justifying the court to change its opinion in relation to Section 2 of the Bail Act 1997.
He said that a trial date was previously fixed for February 12, 2018 and if there was “any slippage” in that date, the court would have “good cause” to review the matter.
The judge then rejected Mr Walsh’s bail application under Section 2 of the Bail Act 1997.
Mr Walsh was remanded in custody.