Limerick slasher who cut man's face during rampage to receive new sentence
A Limerick man who went on “a rampage” and slashed the face of a 22-year-old in an unprovoked attack must wait to receive a new sentence following an appeal by prosecutors.
Anthony 'Tony' Kelly (24), with an address at Lilac Court, Keyes Park, Limerick, pleaded guilty at Limerick Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing serious harm at Catherine Street Limerick on May 13 2011.
He was sentenced to four years imprisonment with the final two suspended by Mr Justice Carroll Moran on February 10 2012.
The Director of Public Prosecutions successfully sought a review of Kelly's sentence in the Court of Appeal today and a new sentence will be imposed on him on June 4 next.
Counsel for the DPP, John O'Sullivan BL, told the three-judge court that Kelly had gone “on a rampage” in the words of Mr Justice Moran.
Kelly had robbed a man of money and a mobile phone on Catherine Street and “24 hours later” he was in the same area when he, without provocation, slashed the face of another man causing him severe facial disfigurement.
Mr O'Sullivan said the case against Kelly was very strong with a collection of independent witnesses and CCTV evidence and, as such, his admissions were not particularly significant.
Mr Justice Moran said Kelly “had been on a rampage and had been picking his victims at random in unprovoked attacks,” according to Mr O'Sullivan.
The 22-year-old slash victim was left with a permanent scar on his left cheek which he'll have to live with for the rest of his life, he said.
The slash victim was preyed upon by Kelly, Mr O'Sullivan said, and the sentence imposed simply did not meet the gravity of the case.
The court heard that Kelly had been out of prison since May of last year.
Speaking on behalf of the Court of Appeal, Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan said the three-judge court was of the view that the sentence imposed was “unduly lenient” and reasons would be given at a later date.
Mr Justice Sheehan, who sat with Mr Justice Alan Mahon and Mr Justice John Edwards, directed the provision of a probation report and put the matter back to June 4 next for a new sentence.