Last chance for teen who knocked down Garda on stolen moped
A 16-year-old Dublin boy, who knocked a garda over while speeding on a stolen motorbike, has been given a final chance to avoid a six-month sentence.
The boy admits driving a stolen motorbike, not having a licence or insurance, escape from lawful custody, dangerous driving as well as a hit-and-run charge in connection with the incident in south Dublin on October 25, 2014.
During a pursuit, the teenager had been riding the stolen moped at Mount Tallant Avenue when he knocked over Garda Oliver Farrell who was on foot, the Dublin Children's Court heard.
Judge John O'Connor was furnished with a probation report on the youth which showed the teenager has recently tested positive for cocaine use as well as other substances. He had also come to further garda notice on suspicion of a bicycle theft.
Judge O'Connor said the teenager was out of control, taking “killer drugs” and putting his life at risk. He had a choose between reforming or getting a six-month term in custody, the judge warned as he adjourned the case until April for sentencing.
The judge warned that this would be the teen's last chance. An updated probation report is to be prepared and he also ordered the boy to agree to drug testing, after which the boy's mother said “thank you”. Judge O'Connor said all this was having an effect on the teen's mother who said said her son, “will not allow me to be his parent.”
Earlier, Garda Farrell said he attempted to stop the teenager but the boy drove at him and he had to take “evasive action”. The garda was struck to his right side and the teenager carried on driving.
There were “numerous incidents of dangerous driving and failing to stop” before the teenager crashed into the back of a patrol car at Harold's Cross Road.
Following his arrest he managed to get out of the garda car and briefly escape before he was recaptured.
Judge O'Connor noted the boy had no prior criminal convictions. A welfare report had shown the teen was becoming “far more challenging and he is at a high risk of re-offending”.
Damian McKeone BL, for the defence, asked the court to note the boy is aware he is at risk of a getting sentence. Earlier counsel said the boy wanted to continue his education and to complete the Leaving Certificate. However, it was conceded the teenager's behaviour had become an issue in his educational course and the boy has had anger-management difficulties.