NewsCourts

Kerry man denies raping prostitute

Kerry man denies raping prostitute

The trial continues before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of six men and six women.

The man has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to oral rape and sexual assault of the woman in a hotel room in Dublin city on March 28, 2010.

He also denied two counts of threatening or putting in fear a witness in a garda investigation on dates between April 29 and May 28, 2010. Both the accused and the complainant are legally entitled to anonymity.

The trial has heard that the woman had been working as an escort or prostitute for short periods over the four years before the alleged assault. She advertised herself as a well educated former model on the Escorts Ireland website.

The accused man contacted her on this website and an arrangement was made for them to meet in the hotel room. The woman said that she had agreed to meet the man for a “girlfriend experience” service but that he became rough and forced her to perform oral sex on him while holding her by the hair.

She said this was never agreed to, she did not consent to what happened and he did not pay her.

The accused was identified after gardai linked a pseudonym email address used by him on the Escorts Ireland website to a former employer of the man.

After his arrest he told gardai that the sex with the complainant was consented to by both of them. He said: “I’ve never physically or sexually assaulted anyone in my life”.

A medical witness told the jury that she examined the woman hours after the alleged incident and found “bruises, scratches and marks.”

Gardai asked the accused about text messages sent to the woman's mobile phone weeks after the incident which referred to a country town linked to the woman. The man said he had found a private number for the woman on the internet linked to a legitimate business she was involved in.

The texts discussed telling her family and neighbours in that town that she was a prostitute if she did not withdraw the allegations. The sender claimed to be a friend of the accused.

Asked why he sent certain texts to her he said: “Somebody made a completely false allegation. I took the wrong advice. I done it myself. I googled it (the number)”

He also told gardai: “I didn’t go on any vendetta. Would you not want to find out (who was making the allegations)?”

Asking about an email sent to her which included a Limerick rhyme referring to a whore, her family and a “video of you fucking a dog” he told gardai: “I didn’t record having sex with that girl. I don’t recall sending it. If it was me it was to get her to withdraw false allegations”.

The woman said she was terrified when she received that email. “I was not sleeping, not eating. I was terrified he would come after me. I didn’t know how far he was going to take it”.

The accused denied that he had threatened or intimidated the woman. He said the texts were not threatening.

A man who was scheduled to meet the woman after the alleged assault told the trial that she rang him and mentioned the words rape and bite. He spoke to her and agreed to meet her in a public place where she appeared confused and distressed, he said.

He advised her to contact gardai and the Rape Crisis Centre. He said after she left him he went to Donnybrook garda station to report the matter.

The accused told gardai that he thought the woman might be making the allegations because he had called her a whore during the sex and she took offence at that. “I think that hit a raw nerve,” he said.

The accused agreed he replied to an email from the woman sent to him after the incident and in his reply he accused her of trying to extort money from people.

Her email was to the Escorts Ireland safety scheme for sex workers providing the details of her alleged attacker. She also sent the email to the pseudonym email address that the accused had used to contact her through the website.

He wrote back from that address: “Are you completely unwell in the head? Rape? Refer to the dictionary. We arranged to meet.”

The court heard that Detective Garda Ronan Conway, who led the investigation, contacted the accused through this email address and asked him to come forward in relation to a serious complaint which he was investigating.

Det Gda Conway asked him to provide his real identity but the man behind the emails wrote back and said he suspected this might be a scam and asked for more details of the allegations.

Further investigations led gardai to link that email to this accused and to arrest him at his home.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of six men and six women.