Judge warns DPP about further delays in Lorcan O'Reilly murder case
A JUDGE has warned he will take a “dim view” if the DPP's office has more delays in serving a book of evidence on a teenager charged over a fatal Halloween stabbing in Dublin.
The 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, is accused of the murder of Lorcan O'Reilly (21) last year.
A solicitor for the DPP told Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court today that her office was confident the book of evidence would be ready in four weeks. A further adjournment was requested.
Defence solicitor John Quinn asked the judge to mark the case peremptory against the State which could mean it would be struck out if the prosecution is not ready on the next date.
Judge O'Connor refused to make that order but he warned the prosecution solicitor that “I will be taking a dim view if it is not ready”. The boy was remanded on continuing bail to appear again in four weeks.
The boy, who remained silent, was accompanied to the hearing by his mother and another relative. He made no reply when he was originally charged in April and has not yet entered a plea.
Lorcan O'Reilly, from Robert Emmet Close in south inner city Dublin, was stabbed in the nearby Oliver Bond flat complex in the early hours of Nov. 1 last year.
The incident happened at approximately 2.30am when he had been at Halloween festivities with friends.
He sustained a single stab wound to the heart and was rushed to St James's Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.
Detectives arrested the 15-year-old boy on March 31 and detained him at a Dublin Garda Station. The boy, who is from south Dublin, is charged with the murder of Lorcan O'Reilly on Nov. 1, last at Oliver Bond flats, contrary to common law.
He was aged 14 at the time of Mr O'Reilly's death. On April 1, he was remanded in custody by the Dublin Children's Court but he was granted High Court bail the following week.
Judge O'Connor has already warned the teenager that he must obey the bail terms or he could be remanded in custody.
His bail, which was set days after he was charged, required an independent surety in the sum of €6,000. The teenager must sign on daily at his local garda station, obey a nightly curfew and he has surrendered his passport which must remain in the possession of gardai.
Judge O'Connor had also told the teen he has to have a charged mobile phone with him and be available to answer calls from gardai.
The teenage defendant's identity cannot be revealed because he is aged under 18, a minor who has a right to anonymity.
Due to the nature of the charge he will be sent forward for trial to the Central Criminal Court after the book of evidence has been completed.