NewsCourts

Jobstown protest youth who twice missed court date gets bail

CourtsBy Sunday World
Calvin Carlyle leaving court
Calvin Carlyle leaving court

A youth, who twice missed court to face charges over the Jobstown water protest during which Tanaiste Joan Burton was allegedly trapped in her car, has been granted bail.

The Labour leader and her entourage had left a graduation just after midday on November 15 last year at An Cosan education facility at Jobstown, in Tallaght when a demonstration at Fortunestown Road delayed her for about two hours.

She and her team had been attempting to travel by car to St Thomas's Church, a short distance away, for the rest of the ceremony when the protest took place.

The youth, 18-year-old, Calvin Carlyle, from Gleann na hEorna, Tallaght, who was a juvenile at the time, but now an adult, is charged with violent disorder and criminal damage to a garda car in connection with the incident.

He did not attend when the case was first listed before Dublin Children's Court on October 29th, along prosecutions brought against six other teenagers. His mother had come to the court and had then told the judge her son was unwell and suffering from a “stomach bug”.

The case resumed at the Children's Court on Thursday but the teenager did not turn up again and Judge John O'Connor issued a bench warrant for youth's arrest.

He was arrested that night and brought before the court today.

Det Garda Michael McGrath told Judge John O'Connor that the teen's excuse for not coming to court on Thursday was “I was on the drink”.

The court also heard that he had been cautioned the night before about having to attend and he told a garda “he was aware of the court date but may have a stomach bug coming up”.

Defence counsel Damian McKeone asked the court to note that on the first occasion the teenager had been suffering from a stomach bug.

He applied for bail and said Mr Carlyle would abide by bail conditions but did not want the curfew.

Judge O'Connor granted bail and ordered him to be sober in public, to sign-on daily at his local garda station and to obey a 11pm to 7am.

The case was adjourned until Monday to reviews his adherence to the conditions.

The DPP has directed that unlike the juveniles he should be tried in the circuit court.

Six other youths aged from 14 to 17 face a variety of charges in the juvenile court including criminal damage and violent disorder.

One of them faces two counts of false imprisonment of Tanaiste Joan Bruton and her political advisor Karen O'Connell who were in a ministerial car which was surrounded by protesters.

They are due back in court later this month and in December.

On Monday, Anti-Austerity Alliance TD Paul Murphy faced Dublin District Court charged with false imprisonment of Joan Burton and her advisor.

Seventeen other adults were also charged with a variety of offences: false imprisonment, criminal damage and violent disorder in connection with the alleged incident. The DPP has directed they should face trial on indictment in the circuit court.

The TD and his co-defendants have been ordered to appear again at the district court next month when it is expected they will be served with books of evidence and returned for trial.