Irish soccer international's assault case adjourned

CourtsBy Sunday World
Anthony Stokes
Anthony Stokes

The trial of Anthony Stokes for allegedly assaulting an Elvis impersonator has been adjourned at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Lawyers for the Celtic striker said they were ready to proceed with the hearing into an alleged incident in Dublin on June 8 2013.

Judge Patricia Ryan, at Dublin's Circuit Criminal Court, said she would put the case back for mention before the same court tomorrow.

But she said she could not guarantee that it would proceed then.

It is expected the trial will take two days.

The Ireland and Celtic player was in court, dressed in a white shirt, blue tie and grey suit, for the brief hearing.

He has been remanded on bail since last year.

Dubliner Stokes, 26, with an address at Bellhaven Terrace, Glasgow, was arrested by appointment and charged with assault causing harm to Anthony Bradley, 42, at Buck Whaley's nightclub on Leeson Street, Dublin.