Graham Dwyer’s murder trial told 847 texts were sent from his work phone to Elaine O’Hara

Graham Dwyer
Graham Dwyer

Graham Dwyer’s murder trial has heard 847 texts were sent from his work phone to Elaine O’Hara between January 2008 and December 2009.

The architect of Kerrymount Close, Foxrock denies murdering the childcare worker in 2012.

Garda Paul Kane confirmed Vodafone records showed texts began on January 15th, 2008 and ended on December 4th, 2009. On one day, January 13th, 2009, Mr Dwyer sent 53 texts to Ms O’Hara from his work phone.

On January 15th, 2008, Mr Dwyer texted Ms O’Hara 14 times, and on the 17th, he texted her 22 times. There were also a high number of texts on October 3rd and 24th and on November 13th and 15th.

On December 9th, Mr Dwyer called and left a message on Ms O’Hara’s voicemail. Garda Kane confirmed Mr Dwyer had “deliberately gained access to her voicemail” by putting a prefix of 5 before dialling Ms O’Hara’s number.

In 2009, the highest number of texts was sent on January 13th, when 53 were sent, and on June 12th, when 19 texts were sent. The last text was sent on December 4th.

Garda Kane agreed under cross-examination that he did not have any data to show whether the texts were responded to by Ms O’Hara.

A statement by a close friend of Elaine O’Hara’s was also read into evidence on Day 28 of the trial.

She told gardaí that Elaine used to talk about men she had met on BDSM websites.

The trial was also told  Elaine O’Hara had become pregnant by a bisexual man and later had a miscarriage while in bed.

Ms O’Hara’s remains were found in forestry on Kilakee Mountain, Rathfarnham, on September 13th, 2013.

A statement was read into the record from Elaine Twomey, a friend of Ms O’Hara’s, said they had met at St Edmundsbury’s Hosptial, a psychiatric unit where they were both patients.

They would meet for coffee and go for walks in Stepaside and Marlay  Park. She said they were friends for 10 years.

She said Ms O’Hara talked about going online to meet partners for sex and said she had three or four regulars, though there was one man, “Adam”, who was “different” and he did not tie her up.

Ms Twomey said Ms O’Hara told her she liked to be tied up and cut by men as it would release the tension she was feeling. She also said Ms O’Hara told her about meeting a man at Starbucks in Dundrum in 2011 or 2012. She said when Ms O’Hara was depressed she would self-harm and told her she enjoyed it.

She also showed her scars on her stomach where she had cut herself with a knife.

Ms Twomey said she believed Ms O’Hara was “attention seeking and immature” and “there was always drama with Elaine”. She was shocked by her attitude to sex.

She said they met for coffee in the Market Shop, Belarmine, in January 2012 and Ms O’Hara was distressed.

She told Ms Twomey she had a miscarriage two or three days previously. She said she woke up in bed and there was blood everywhere and the mattress was soaked. She said she had been three months pregnant.

Ms Twomey said Ms O’Hara suggested she might ring the father, but she advised her not to. Ms O’Hara told her the father worked, was a nice guy, normal and bisexual, but was not “solely with her”.

Ms Twomey said Ms O’Hara started getting “too needy” and in April 2012 she was getting six calls and six texts a day from her. She said she told her to stop calling and texting her and deleted her phone number.

They saw each other one more time in August 2012 in the local shop. They both said hello and went their separate ways, she said.

The trial will resume hearing evidence tomorrow morning.