Further bail granted for teen charged with murder of Lorcan O'Reilly

Lorcan O’Reilly
Lorcan O’Reilly

A 15-YEAR-OLD boy charged with the murder of Lorcan O'Reilly, who died following a Halloween stabbing in Dublin, has been remanded on continuing bail.

Det Sergeant Adrian Whitelaw asked Judge John O'Connor  at the Dublin Children's Court to grant a six-week adjournment. The teen was ordered by Judge O'Connor to appear again in mid-June to allow the State time to complete a book of evidence. 

The boy, who remained silent, was accompanied to the hearing by his mother and another relative.

Lorcan O'Reilly (21), from Robert Emmet Close in south inner city Dublin, was stabbed in the nearby Oliver Bond flat complex in the early hours of Nov.1 last year. 
The incident happened at approximately 2.30am when he had been at Halloween festivities with friends. 

He sustained a single stab wound to the heart and was rushed to St James's Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later. 

Detectives arrested the 15-year-old boy on March 31 and detained him at a Dublin Garda Station. The boy, who is from south Dublin, is charged with the murder of Lorcan O'Reilly on Nov. 1, last at Oliver Bond flats, contrary to common law.  

He was aged 14 at the time of Mr O'Reilly's death. On April 1, he was remanded in custody by the Dublin Children's Court but he was granted High Court bail the following week.

Judge O'Connor has already warned the teenager that he must obey the bail terms or he could be remanded in custody. 

His bail, which was set days after he was charged,  required an independent surety in the sum of €6,000. The teenager must sign on daily at his local garda station, obey a nightly curfew and he has surrendered his passport which must remain in the possession of gardai.

Judge O'Connor has also told the teen he has to have a charged mobile phone with him and be available to answer calls from gardai. 

The teenage defendant's identity cannot be revealed because he is aged under 18, a minor who has a right to anonymity. He made no reply when he was charged in April and has not yet entered a plea.

Due to the nature of the charge he will be sent forward for trial to the Central Criminal Court after the book of evidence has been completed.