Five Dublin teens face trial over gang attack on young footballer in park
FIVE Dublin youths have been sent forward for trial over an attack on another teenager who was repeatedly beaten and stabbed.
Dublin Children's Court heard that the injured boy (17) subsequently lost out on a soccer scholarship in the United States after the incident.
Two 17-year-old boys and three youths aged 18 who allegedly took part in the attack appeared before Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court.
They are accused of having a crutch and an extendible baton as weapons, assault causing harm to the 17-year-old boy and violent disorder, in connection with the incident at Edenmore Park, Dublin, on Sept. 19 last year.
They were served with books of evidence and sent forward for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where their next scheduled hearing will take place on Oct. 21.
Earlier, the two 17-year-old boys pair faced a preliminary hearing to determine if they should be tried in the juvenile court or in the Circuit Court, which has tougher sentencing powers. Judge O'Connor refused jurisdiction in their cases and they will be tried with their adult co-defendants.
In an outline of the allegations, Garda Brian Healy had said the victim intervened in a fight between two girls and walked one of them away to safety. It was alleged he was later confronted by youths, stabbed a number of times and hit with crutches.
The garda said locals intervened and brought him into a house by which stage he was bleeding heavily. He collapsed onto a kitchen table and was losing consciousness when paramedics arrived.
He spent two weeks in hospital and had stab wounds on his back as well as head and facial injuries.
Since then he has lost weight, has trouble sleeping, suffers from post traumatic stress disorder and has not been able to continue playing football, the juvenile court heard.
The defendants who were accompanied to court bys family members have been granted legal aid but have not yet indicated how they will plead.