Dublin youth sent to trial over crash which resulted in death of 15-year-old boy

Dayne Cody suffered serious injuries after a car in which he was travelling with pals hit a tree
Dayne Cody suffered serious injuries after a car in which he was travelling with pals hit a tree

A DUBLIN youth has been served with a book of evidence and sent forward for trial over a tragic crash which claimed the life of a 15-year-old boy.

Transition-year student Dayne Cody suffered serious injuries after a car in which he was travelling with pals hit a tree at Station Road in Clondalkin, Dublin on December 20 last. 

The Cherry Orchard teenager was rushed to Tallaght hospital were he was later pronounced dead.

A 16-year-old boy, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, has been charged with dangerous driving causing death in connection with the incident. He made his second appearance at Dublin Children's Court where he was served with a book of evidence.

Judge John O'Connor notified him that if he intended to use an alibi in his defence he must inform the prosecution within 14 days. The youth, who has not yet entered a plea, was accompanied to the hearing by his father and his lawyer. 

Legal aid was granted and Judge O'Connor made an order sending him forward for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, where he will face his next hearing on October 9th next.

The boy had answered “no” when he was charged and asked if he had any reply, said Detective Garda Padraic Jennings at an earlier stage.

Judge O'Connor was told the DPP had recommended the boy should face trial on indictment; this means the case would be dealt with at the higher level in the circuit court which has wider sentencing powers. 

During a pre-trial hearing the boy and his parents were visibly upset as Det Gda Jennings gave an outline of the evidence for the purpose of ruling on the trial venue issue.  Det Gda Jennings agreed with the boy's solicitor Michelle Finan that the car, a 2002-registered Kia with a 2.5 litre engine, was not stolen.

The teenager had used money he got for his birthday to buy the vehicle from a seller who advertised it online and he allegedly collected it in north Dublin, it was claimed.

The boy later brought four other youths in the car, including Dayne Cody, to get petrol and sweets. He got into a panicked state when he passed a garda car and he increased his speed.

The court heard the teenager allegedly lost control of the car and there was serious crash in which Mr Cody was thrown through the front window.

One of the other passengers lost a foot and the other people in the car made full recoveries from their less serious injuries. 

Det Gda Jennings had agreed with the accused boy's lawyer that it was a tragedy and the road was wet at the time. The court was also told he had no prior criminal convictions and was co-operative.

However, Judge O'Connor, who was furnished with photos of the scene, refused jurisdiction for the case to be dealt with in the juvenile court.