Dublin youth in court for unprovoked attack in Temple Bar 'was also selling heroin'
SENTENCING of a Dublin youth for an unprovoked attack on a man in Temple Bar has been adjourned while he decides how he will plead to a heroin-dealing charge.
Dublin Children's Court heard a Probation Service report on the 17-year-old boy stated “there is not much they can do”. Judge John O'Connor said the teenager had reached the threshold for receiving a custodial sanction.
He adjourned the assault case for two weeks for sentencing and for the youth to indicate how he will plead to a separate charge for supplying heroin, connected to Operation Viking – a garda crackdown on street dealing in Dublin.
Garda Gillian Moran told Judge O'Connor it was alleged that in February last year at Aston Quay, Dublin 2, a garda “adopted the appearance and mannerism of a drug user”. It is alleged the undercover officer was approachd by the youth who sold him a “street deal of heroin for a fee of €20”.
The teenager, who was accompanied to court by his lawyer and parents, has pleaded guilty to assault causing harm on August 15 last. The youth already has 22 prior criminal convictions.
Garda Stephen Farrelly has told Judge John O'Connor the teenager had been "walking through Temple Bar square, he had bottle of beer in his possession." He said the teenager dropped the bottle when he bumped into the victim.
The court heard the boy then attacked the man, striking him in the face, and inflicted bruises. On arrest the youth admitted what he had done, the court was told.
Judge O'Connor heard that the boy had a litany of public order convictions as well as others for assault, drug dealing, theft, robbery, possessing an implement for use in a theft, possessing stolen property, carrying an offensive weapon and criminal damage. He had been released on supervised probation in November last year.