NewsCourts

Dublin teen faces sentence for knocking Garda over with stolen moped

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
Gda Farrell said he attempted to stop the teenager but the boy drove at him and he had to take “evasive action”.
Gda Farrell said he attempted to stop the teenager but the boy drove at him and he had to take “evasive action”.

A 16-year-old Dublin boy, who knocked a garda over while speeding on a stolen motorbike, has been given a last chance to avoid a six-month custodial sentence.

The boy, who was accompanied to court by his parents, admits driving a stolen motorbike, not having a licence or insurance, escape from lawful custody, dangerous driving as well as a hit-and-run charge in connection with the incident in south Dublin on October 25 last year.

During a pursuit, the teenager had been riding the stolen moped at Mount Tallant Avenue when he knocked over Garda Oliver Farrell who was on foot, the Dublin Children's Court heard.

Gda Farrell said he attempted to stop the teenager but the boy drove at him and he had to take “evasive action”. The garda was struck to his right side and the teenager carried on, Judge John O'Connor heard.

There were “numerous incidents of dangerous driving and failing to stop” before the teenager crashed into the back of a patrol car at Harold's Cross Road, the court was told.

Following his arrest he managed to get out of the garda car and briefly escape before he was recaptured.

Judge O'Connor noted the boy had no prior criminal convictions and was in school but he had missed appointments with his probation officer who had drafted a pre-sentence report for the court.

The report showed the teen was becoming “far more challenging and he is at a high risk of re-offending”, the judge said.

Damian McKeone BL, for the defence, asked the court to note the boy wanted to continue his education and to complete the Leaving Certificate. However, it was conceded the teenager's behaviour had become an issue in his educational course and the boy has had anger-management difficulties.

Judge O'Connor said the hit-and-run incident could carry a six-month sentence and that would be imposed if the teen's next report is negative. “It is totally in your hands,” he warned the youth, who was remanded on continuing bail to appear again in December.