Dublin man accused of vandalising Eamon de Valera's headstone
A Dublin man accused of vandalising Eamon de Valera’s headstone has been served with a book of evidence and returned for trial.
John Moore, 57, of Cherrymount Crescent, Clontarf, is charged with causing criminal damage to Eamon de Valera's headstone on Jan. 25 last at Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin.
He faced his fourth hearing at Dublin District Court where he was served with a book of evidence. Judge Anthony Halpin had been told earlier that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has decided the case was too serious to be heard at district court level.
The DPP directed trial on indictment meaning the case is to be heard in the circuit court which has tougher sentencing powers. After the book of evidence was served on the accused, Judge Halpin told Mr Moore he was being sent forward for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where he will face his next hearing on Oct. 6.
His bail terms state he must stay away from all members of the de Valera family, stay away from Glasnevin Cemetery, have no contact with the de Valera family or any of their properties or assets, sign on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at Clontarf Garda station and reside at his current address.
At his first hearing, on Jan. 26 last, the court heard Mr Moore’s reply to the criminal damage charge was “I'm guilty”.
At another court appearance he had told Judge Halpin that he had a child buried in the cemetery and not being allowed go there was like “torture”.
Former taoiseach and Easter 1916 Rising commander Eamon de Valera died in 1975 and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.
The graveyard is the final resting place of several key figures in Irish history