Dublin girl spared trial and sentence for her part in vicious gang robbery

The girl was apart of a gang that mugged a man on Liffey Street in Dublin
The girl was apart of a gang that mugged a man on Liffey Street in Dublin

A TEENAGE girl has been spared trial and a sentence for her part in a vicious gang robbery of a Chinese man who was knocked unconscious and had his phone and shoes stolen in Dublin city-centre.

The 17-year-old was one of seven young people to come before the Dublin Children's Court charged with robbery of the man, who is in his late twenties, at Liffey Street in the early hours of July 10th last.

However, Judge John O'Connor noted that the girl's charge was being withdrawn by the prosecution to allow her the chance to be dealt with through the Garda juvenile diversion programme. The programme is aimed at steering young people away from crime and involves being cautioned but will not result in having a criminal record.

The second girl, aged 14, as well as five male youths are still before the courts. One of them, an 18-year-old, who had taken a “cocktail of LSD” at the time of the incident,has pleaded guilty and is awaiting sentence.

Judge O'Connor has viewed footage of the incident which he described as “pure savage”. The victim suffered bruising and cuts and, said Judge O'Connor, was fortunate he was not killed.

CCTV footage of the incident shows teens clearly swarming around the man.

He was repeatedly punched, his shirt ripped off him before he was pulled him to the ground where the gang rained kicks to his head and body. The 28-year-old could be seen trying to protect himself and struggled back on to his feet all the while the youths had him surrounded and were kicking and punching him.

The footage, described by Judge O'Connor as “incredibly difficult to watch”, ends with the victim falling limply and ending up flat on his back, while receiving more kicks from almost every angle around him. The man could then be seen lying motionless as his phone was stolen and his shoes were then taken off his feet by the youths who then fled.

The two girls were initially remanded in custody in July and spent a week in a juvenile detention centre after their parents refused to take them home.

“She thinks it's great to be in care,” the 17-year-old's mother had said adding, “she has been off the rails for the last 18 months, this is not a new thing.” “That is disgusting what she done,” the mother had said.

However, a week later the two girls were granted bail and their families agreed to take them home.