Court lifts house arrest order for "out of control" teen

Court lifts house arrest order for "out of control" teen

A JUDGE has lifted a house arrest order that was placed on an “out of control” 14-year-old Dublin boy accused of stabbing a youth.

Last week at the Dublin Children's Court, Judge John O'Connor said the teenager had reached the threshold for having bail revoked but that could not be done because there was nowhere to hold the boy then.

The judge also said he was concerned about evidence of witness intimidation and the seriousness of the offence.

The teenager was granted bail he told could not leave his home except when going to school and he had to be accompanied by an adult relative, the court ordered. Yesterday Judge O'Connor noted the boy had complied with the bail conditions.

He decided to relax the conditions stating the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, must now be indoors from 7pm until 7am daily. The case was adjourned for two weeks.

Earlier, the judge said the boy “looks as innocent as pie” but was out-of-control.

The boy has been charged with assault causing harm in connection with an alleged stabbing of a youth in Tallaght on a date in January. He has been further charged with criminal damage using black paint during an incident on a Luas tram five weeks later.

Garda Kieran Kilcoyne had said he feared the teenager would continue to engage in witness intimidation. Concerns were also expressed that the boy would also use social media.

Gda Kilcoyne said CCTV footage from the Luas showed the boy: “with a gang of lads”.

“He comes down sits on a block of seats and takes out an object, a tin of paint, hands it to another male, puts on his hat and gloves, takes it back, walks towards the young lad, who is the injured party.”

Gda Kilcoyne said the teenager threw paint on the youth and then picked up the can and “pegged it at him”. The incident happened in front of an elderly couple and numerous witness statements have been taken.

Gda Kilcoyne said that the youth who was covered in paint was terrified and in a state of panic.

In addition to the curfew, the teenage defendant, who has not yet entered a plea, must sign on daily, in the company of his parents, at his local garda station and he has to stay away from parts of Tallaght.