Court hears details of dramatic Dublin car chase that ended on M50

The chase eventually ended on the M50
The chase eventually ended on the M50

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy in a stolen car had to be “boxed in” by garda vehicles on the M50 before he could be arrested, a court has heard.

The teenager pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to unlawfully using a stolen car in the early hours of March 17 last. He also admitted six counts of dangerous driving as well as not having a licence or motor insurance in connection with the incident.

Garda Canice Phelan told Judge Timothy Lucey that he had been on patrol in the Blanchardstown area when gardai spotted two cars travelling on the wrong side of the road at the Littlepace roundabout in Clonee.

Gardai took up pursuit at which the two cars split up. The court heard the boy was driving a '02-reg Honda Xtreme and drove at speed through another roundabout on the wrong side. He sped through a red light forcing a taxi to take “evasive action”.

The teenager reached the N2 and crossed several lanes “without regard for other road users” said Gda Phelan, adding that the teenager did that several times.

The teenager nearly lost control of the Honda while he drove along a M50 slip road and when he crossed the motorway drivers had to take evasive action.

The court heard that as he reached the M50 toll bridge he was “boxed in” and stopped. The teenager initially resisted arrest but then became compliant and was handcuffed before he was taken to Blanchardstown Garda station.

Gda Phelan said that the owner of the hot-wire car was not aware it had been stolen. Gda Phelan also agreed with defence counsel that property in the car was untouched and the teenager had no prior criminal convictions.

Judge Lucey adjourned sentencing and hearing mitigation pleas from the defence until a date in November. He also ordered the preparation of a probation report on the youth who did not address the court.

The boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, was remanded on continuing bail.

He has not yet entered a plea to another motor theft charge.