NewsCourts

Court hears boy (15) 'raped teen girl in multiple Dublin locations'

CourtsBy Sunday World
The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at the Dublin Children's Court
The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at the Dublin Children's Court

A JUDGE has granted prosecutors more time to prepare a book of evidence for the trial of a 16-year-old Dublin boy charged with repeatedly raping and assaulting a teenage girl.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at the Dublin Children's Court where he was remanded on continuing bail by Judge John O'Connor to appear again next month when it is expected he will served with a book of evidence and sent forward for trial.

He faces two counts of raping a named female, who is in her mid-teen, at a location in north Co. Dublin on a date in July last year. It is also alleged that he raped the girl, sexually assaulted her and assaulted her causing harm, at another locations, a shopping centre, in the same vicinity on the same day.

The boy was aged 15 at the time. The DPP has directed he must face trial on indictment at the Central Criminal Court.

The youth, who was granted legal aid, was accompanied to court by a parent and his solicitor. He was originally charged in December.

Earlier, Det Sergeant Kieran Devine said the boy made no reply when the charges were put to him. Due to the nature of the charge the defence cannot make submissions pleading for the case to be kept in the jurisdiction of the juvenile court.

The boy has been told he must obey a 10pm-8am curfew, stay away from two locations, and have no contact with the complainant or her family.

He was also told he has to sign on three times a week at his local garda station.

Breaching the conditions could result in him being remanded in custody.