Court hears teens armed with massive knife held woman against her will in Tallaght

The Children's Court
The Children's Court

Two teenage boys have been charged with robbery and false imprisonment after a young woman was allegedly held against her will at knife-point and forced to withdraw money from an ATM in Tallaght in Dublin.

The woman, who in her twenties, allegedly had a 15-inch knife, described as a pruning saw, held to her and was brought from Sean Walsh Park to the nearby Square Shopping Centre.

The boys, aged 15 and 16, who are in care, appeared at the Dublin Children's Court today to face a litany of charges in connection with incidents on Sunday morning.

The younger boy, who has been staying in emergency hostel accommodation, was granted conditional bail to appear again tomorrow when a new placement for him in a residential care home is expected to be available.

He will have to obey a curfew and stay out of the Tallaght area under the terms of bail, warned Judge John O'Connor.

The 16-year-old co-defendant was remanded in custody.

Garda Ian Sheedy said it was alleged the younger boy was armed with the 15-inch blade and made admissions to threatening her with it and using it in three other robberies on the same morning.

The woman was allegedly brought to the Square Shopping Centre “at knife-point against her will and forced to take out €50”. The teen was later found in possession of her mobile phone.

He is charged robbing the woman and three other females, false imprisonment and producing the knife.

Gda Sgt Phillip Rowe told the court that it was alleged that the 16-year-old, who is also facing robbery and false imprisonment charges, has gone missing from care on 63 occasions and has been found in Dublin city-centre “hanging around with homeless people”.

He is accused of taking part in three of the robberies which happened within the space of an hour on Sunday morning and will face his next hearing on Friday at Tallaght Children's Court.

Both of the boys had drug problems it was also alleged and they “made no reply” when they were charged.