Case adjourned in trial of man accused of 50 sexual offences against girls
The start of trial of a man charged with 50 counts of sexual offences against two young girls has been adjourned.
The 51-year-old man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was sent forward from the District Court last year in relation to the offences which are alleged to have happened on dates between 2007 and 2011 at locations in Dublin and Donegal.
The charges sent forward include 40 counts of child exploitation by inviting, inducing or coercing the alleged victim to engage in or participate in a sexual, indecent or obscene act. This includes engaging in the production of child pornography.
There are three counts of alleged sexual assault and seven of defilement of a child under the age of 17.
Sarah Jane O’Callaghan BL, defending, previously told the court that the trial was likely to take two weeks.
Today at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court Judge Desmond Hogan told lawyers in the case that there were no judges free to take this or any of the other seven trials listed to get on.
He put this case into the list in court five before Judge Martin Nolan for next Tuesday July 21 when Judge Nolan will fix a new date for trial. Judge Hogan remanded the man on continuing bail.