Boy (15) told to apologise to garda for running him over on a stolen moped
A 15-YEAR-OLD Dublin boy, who knocked a garda over while speeding on a stolen motorbike, has been ordered to write a letter of apology.
Judge Conal Gibbons said at the Dublin Children's Court that a probation report raised concerns about the teenager abusing cannabis and it stated he was at “a high risk of re-offending”.
“The garda who was hit on the day in question could have been very seriously injured,” the judge said adding that the boy's behaviour was appalling.
The boy, who was accompanied to court by his parents, admits driving a stolen motorbike, not having a licence and insurance, escape from lawful custody, dangerous driving as well as a hit-and-run charge in connection with the incident in south Dublin on October 25 last.
During a pursuit, the teenager had been riding the stolen moped at Mount Tallant Avenue when he knocked over a garda who was on foot. Following his arrest he managed to get out of the garda car at Harold's Cross before he was recaptured.
The judge described a school report on the boy as “patchy” and defence counsel Damian McKeone asked the court to note the teenager had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity. He also pointed out that a subsequent report furnished by a youth project was much more positive.
The Probation Service wanted to continue to supervise the boy for another 12 weeks and Judge Gibbons agreed to adjourn the case.
The teenager, who claimed he was beaten by gardai after the incident, told the court he wants to complete his eduction and spoke of some past-times he wanted to develop.
Judge Gibbons ordered him to write a letter of apology to the officer who was knocked over but not seriously injured. An updated probation report will be furnished to the court at the boy's sentence hearing in October.
He told the teenager, who remains on bail, that he had to prove the Probation Service wrong in their findings that he was at a high-risk of offending again.