Boy (15) pleads guilty to vicious Grafton Street mugging
A 15-YEAR-OLD boy has pleaded guilty to a vicious mugging of two people on Dublin’s Grafton Street.
The boy appeared at the Dublin Children’s Court on Friday charged with robbery and attempted robbery of two males, whose ages were not stated, on the night of Nov. 21 last.
His solicitor Brian Keenan asked the court to mark plea of guilty.
The teenager, who was accompanied to court by a care worker, was remanded on continuing bail by Judge John O’Connor to appear again next month.
At an earlier stage, Garda Brian O’Reilly had told the court it was alleged the boy approached one male and punched him in the face twice and then kneed him.
It was alleged that he punched the second male 12 times and that he kneed him six times. He tried to take his iPhone and then returned to the first male and restrained him while an accomplice took his wallet containing €60.
Disclosure of prosecution evidence including CCTV footage was ordered earlier. The teen made no reply when charged, the court was told last month.
Today the boy spoke briefly to confirm he wanted his case to remain in the juvenile court and that he did not want a judge and jury trial in the circuit court.
He also two minor charges for public order and shoplifting offences and has pleaded guilty to them also, the judge noted. The boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, has three other matters that have to be dealt, his solicitor said.
He also said the teenager has secured chance for employment and to learn a trade.