NewsCourts

Out of-control boy (14) who stole car and wrote it off detained for three months

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
Court: The boy admitted stealing the car before crashing it and writing it off
Court: The boy admitted stealing the car before crashing it and writing it off

A 14-YEAR-OLD boy, who stole a car and wrote it off in a crash, has been detained for three months by Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court.

The out-of-control teen's parents outlined how they could not cope with their son any more and his mother said he was in danger.

Judge O'Connor also noted that the teenager had not engaged with services attempting to help him and he said the court had no alternative but to impose a custodial sentence.

He also ordered that the teenager would remain under supervision of the Probation Service for three months following his release.

The teenager addressed the court to say he wanted a longer term so he could be released at the same time as one of his brothers. “I will all right with my bro, I'll out at the same time as him,” he said, however, the judge turned down his request.

His mother said her son was being “used like a guinea pig” by older people and “some fellahs are after him", and she feared he would be killed.

Behavioural and educational assessments of the teenager were already carried out when he was held in a juvenile detention centre at a previous stage. He had also missed one court hearing because he refused to get out of bed.

The boy admitted stealing a car on an afternoon in July last year. He also faces a connected charge for dangerously driving the car which was damaged beyond repair when it crashed into a wall.

He had made no reply when the charges were originally put to him.

The juvenile court has heard other cars had to take evasive action during the boy's drive and the stolen car was “written off”.

He also faced other charges for trespassing on a business premises and unlawfully attempting to get into a Garda vehicle on October 28 last.

He has also admitted making a threat to a woman that he would damage her phone on October 15 last as well as criminal damage to a car window on the same date. Guilty pleas were also entered to charges for stealing €7 of groceries on a date last May and trespassing at an underground car park and stealing a pair of runners from a vehicle on October 25 last.

The teenager repeatedly said he was not interested in engaging with the Probation Service which furnished the court with a pre-sentence report.

At one previous court hearing he had refused to take down his hood despite being asked by the judge and his mother to do as he was told.

“Yeah? F**k it, f**k you,” the boy had shouted along with, “I'm leaving the hood up, don't get me started”.

“Sentence me, I don't care, I don't give a f**k any more, this is b******s that's what it is,” he had said. When further warned by the judge, the teenager had shouted: “I don't give a f**king b*****s, give me two years if you want”.

As a condition of bail he had been ordered to obey a curfew, to stay out of parts of Dublin's south west inner city and he had been banned from having contact with several other named individuals. However, he repeatedly broke the conditions.