Boy (12) to face trial accused of Temple Bar phone theft
A 12-YEAR-OLD boy will face trial in October accused of stealing a mobile phone in Dublin’s Temple Bar
He is charged with theft of the €250 phone in Temple Bar on Feb. 26 last, which he denies
He was charged after he was arrested in the same area at about 2am on May 14 last, the Dublin Children’s Court heard. The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has given special directions needed in light of the boy’s young age, for the trial to proceed.
Judge John O’Connor was told it was alleged the teenager had been involved in the theft of the phone and was present when it was taken by another person, the court heard.
The boy previously turned down the chance to be dealt with by a Garda caution instead of going to court.
Defence solicitor John Quinn has told the court that it has been explained to the boy that it was alleged he was there when the phone was taken by another person and that he had a lesser role.
The boy, who was accompanied to court by his father, is pleading not guilty and the judge ordered that the trial would take place in October. He was originally to be tried last month but the hearing had to be put back while clarification was sought in relation to the DPP’s directions.
The judge heard that gardai will provide disclosure of their evidence to the defence but there was no CCTV evidence.
There was no objection to bail.