'Baseball bat' attack in 'broad daylight' was not captured on CCTV

Accused: Jooda Akanbi is charged with murdering 45-year-old Taiwo Jamani
Accused: Jooda Akanbi is charged with murdering 45-year-old Taiwo Jamani

The jury in a murder trial has heard that despite the incident having taken place on a town’s main street during day time, it was not captured on any of the 12 CCTV cameras in the area.

However, the jury in the Dublin trial was this morning shown footage of some of the build up to the incident, which was captured from a distance.

The footage was shown to the Central Criminal Court in the trial of a 39-year-old man, charged with murdering a man with a baseball bat in ‘broad daylight’.

Jooda Akanbi is charged with murdering 45-year-old Taiwo Jamani on November 13th, 2013. He is also charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to hisfellow Nigerian on October 10th, 2013 on Main Street, Swords.

Mr Akanbi of Ashton Avenue, Applewood in Swords has pleaded not (NOT) guilty to both charges. He says his actions were in self defence.

The incident in question happened on the earlier date; Mr Jamani died in hospital a month later.

CCTV footage was played to the jury this morning. It showed the movements of the accused man’s BMW 5 Series; a witness who spoke to the injured party; and a cyclist, who also gave evidence today.

The cyclist, Adam Ounch, said that he had been driving behind a BMW on the town’s main street that day. He said that the driver’s window was down and he could hear the driver shouting.

He couldn’t understand what was being said and wasn’t sure what language was being spoken. The voice was angry, he said.

He said that the car pulled over and parked around the same time that he got off his bicycle. He said that when he looked up from locking his bicycle, he saw ‘two lads standing at the back of the car, shouting’.

Mr Ounch went into a bank. He said that, when he came out a few minutes later, he saw one of the men lying on the street behind the car and the other talking to the gardai.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt and a jury of five women and seven men. It’s expected to last two weeks.