Bail for man charged with manslaughter in relation to Dublin nightclub death

Daniel Fitzgerald
Daniel Fitzgerald

A 33-year-old man charged with manslaughter in connection with the death of a man following a row outside a Dublin nightclub has been remanded on bail.

Christopher Fitzgerald, a 34-year-old father, suffered serious injuries following an incident in Swords, in north Co. Dublin in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Emergency services were called to the scene where Mr Fitzgerald was attended to by night club staff. Fitzgerald, originally from Dublin but living in Drogheda, Co Louth, was rushed to Beaumont Hospital where he later died. The scene of the attack was sealed off pending a forensic examination while gardai appealed for information.

The accused, Daniel Fitzgerald, from Whitestown Avenue, Blanchardstown, Dublin was charged on Wednesday with unlawful killing of Christopher Fitzgerald on May 7 at Airside Business Park in Swords.

Judge Michael Walsh had remanded him in custody with consent to bail and he faced his second hearing at Dublin District Court on Friday. Judge Walsh had set bail in his own bond of €250 with a €7,500 independent surety. He also said that instead of the independent surety the court would accept a €5,000 instead.

Bail had been taken up and he was released from custody ahead of his hearing on today when Judge Walsh ordered him to appear again on July 7 next.

He did not address the court during the hearing but his solicitor Richard Young said there was consent to Detective Sergeant Ian Brunton’s application for an eight-week adjournment.

At the first hearing on Wednesday, Detective Sergeant Brunton told the court that when Daniel Fitzgerald was handed a true copy of the manslaughter charge he replied: “I’m so, so sorry he passed away, I was only trying to defend myself”.

Judge Walsh had agreed to impose bail conditions sought by Det Sergeant Brunton. He was told he cannot have any contact directly or indirectly with prosecution witnesses, sign on every Tuesday and Thursday at Blanchardstown Garda station, surrender his passport and not apply for a duplicate or any other travel documents, and he was warned that any change of address has to be approved by Det Sergeant Brunton.