NewsCourts

16-year-old boy driven from his Dublin locality threatened with decapitation

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
The boy pleaded guilty to two counts of trespassing with intent to commit theft, theft of about €2,000 worth of power tools, stealing a mountain bike worth €200, and three counts of attempted burglary
The boy pleaded guilty to two counts of trespassing with intent to commit theft, theft of about €2,000 worth of power tools, stealing a mountain bike worth €200, and three counts of attempted burglary

A 16-YEAR-OLD Dublin boy, who was driven out of his locality because of his criminal activities, is to be sentenced next month.

The teenager's drug fuelled anti-social behaviour has led to threats he would be shot or decapitated, the Dublin Children's Court has been told.

He has pleaded guilty to a litany of theft, burglary and attempted burglary charges as well as knife possession and criminal damage in connection with incidents in west Dublin on three dates in August and September last year.

Last October, after spending a period in custody on remand he was granted bail on condition he took up a placement on a residential programme run by a private organisation which specialises in helping troubled youths.

They offered to help after learning about the boy's situation from reports in the news media.

The teenager had stuck with the plan for about six months, however, by the end of March he absconded and refused to go back because he did not like the regime in the programme.

Today Judge John O'Connor told the youth, who remains on bail, that sentencing was being adjourned until June 3 when an updated probation report will be furnished to the court. Defence solicitor David Stafford said the boy's mother has made arrangements to get her son back into education.

The judge said the boy is making progress and he warned the teenager that he needed to get a positive probation report. The boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, was remanded on continuing bail with numerous conditions including a curfew and order to stay away from several named youths.

The court had heard earlier that some of his neighbours were fed up with him and have blamed him for a crime spree in their locality.

His mother feared for his safety due to threats. “These people are not people to mess with,” she had said during previous hearing. She had also said she was afraid for her and her family's safety.

His granny has said she could not have him in her home any more. Locals want her evicted because of his activities, she has explained. 

The grandmother said that she has been told that the boy “was going to be shot” and “going to be decapitated” if he returned to the area.

The boy has pleaded guilty to two counts of trespassing with intent to commit theft, theft of about €2,000 worth of power tools, stealing a mountain bike worth €200, and three counts of attempted burglary. These incidents took place at seven locations, all residential addresses, on September 29 last year.

He has also admitted criminal damage to a car, possessing a knife and possessing a wooden pole as a weapon during a row at a relative's home, on a date last August. He has also admitted possessing a knife as weapon on September 4 last year and skipping court on another date.

Garda Sheila Kenny, the boy's prosecution case manager, told the judge that the boy has not picked up any new charges in recent weeks.

The teenager has told the court that he wanted to get help for his problems.