Girl (11) sues ice-rink company after 'skater ran over her hand' at Dublin shopping centre

Teresa Crowley, mother of Aoibhe Naghten from Blanchardstown, Dublin pictured leaving the Four Courts
Teresa Crowley, mother of Aoibhe Naghten from Blanchardstown, Dublin pictured leaving the Four Courts

A then 10-year-old girl, who injured her fingers when she fell while skating and another skater allegedly ran over her hand, has sued in the High Court.

Aoibhe Naghten has claimed the accident occurred eight metres from the exit to the pop-up ice rink at Blanchardstown Centre, Dublin at end of a skating session in December 2015.

She told Mr Justice Michael Hanna she was skating towards the exit when a man standing at the side barrier turned around and accidentally bumped against her and she fell. While she was on the ground, she said another skater went over her right hand.

"I was shocked and frightened. There was a cut and blood all over my hand," said Aoibhe, who is now almost twelve years of age.

Aoibhe Naghten, of Summerfield Rise, Blanchardstown, Dublin has through her mother Teresa Crowley sued Cool Running Events Ltd, with offices at Glanmire, Co Cork as a result of the fall at at an ice rink erected by the event company at Blanchardstown Centre in December 2015.

It was claimed that Cool Running Events allegedly allowed the premises to become overcrowded. It was further alleged that non-participants were allegedly allowed to interfere with legitimate patrons who were genuinely participating in the event.

The claims are denied and Cool Running Events contends that Aoibhe was the author of her own misfortune and she took on a voluntary assumption of risk upon entering the ice rink.

In evidence, Aoibhe told the court that she had gone ice skating with her mother and sister Kerri on December 30, 2015.

She said she was making her way to the exit when a man at the barrier turned in to her path and knocked her.

Put to her by her Counsel Richard Kean SC that the other side say the accident was her fault and asked did she do anything wrong, she said she didn't.

She said she was given first aid at the rink and later got the wound in her right hand cleaned and stitched in hospital. She also had to have a splint for her right middle finger.

She said she could not write at school afterwards and has been left with a scar.

Asked by counsel for the event company Gerard Clarke SC if she saw a safety video played at the venue, she said she did not remember that. She agreed at the time of the accident she was trying to catch up with her sister.

The court also watched a video of the ice skating session.

The case before Mr Justice Michael Hanna continues on Friday.