Boy (11) in critical condition after being hit by truck
A community has been left in "deep shock and anger" after an 11-year-old boy was knocked down by a truck in Meath on Sunday.
The 11-year-old boy remains in a critical condition in Tallaght hospital after he was knocked down at Abbeylands South, Navan at around 10am on Sunday morning.
He was airlifted to Tallaght Hospital and is in a critical condition.
The boy was named locally today as Elrich Caputo, from Troytown Heights on the outskirts of Navan town.
Neighbours said they had seen Gardai calling to Elrich's family home yesterday morning and his mother leaving with them a short time later.
"I didn't realise it was her boy that had been involved in the accident, it's awful for them," one neighbour said.
Last night Parkvilla FC put a photo of Elrich on its Facebook page along with a message.
"Please keep Elrich Caputo and his family in your thoughts and prayers. He was injured on his way to his match this morning," it read.
The driver of the truck, believed to be in his 30s, was uninjured.
Local Meath Cllr Wayne Forde said the community in is “deep shock”.
“The road is very dangerous and busy with huge volumes of traffic.
“The community is in deep shock and this little guy is in everyone’s thoughts and prayers. There is a lot of people praying for this young child and a lot of people angry as it is very dangerous.”
Cllr Forde has been calling for the construction of a public walkover across the N3, to prevent such accidents from happening.
"It is very sad hearing of this awful accident today in Navan. Our prayers and thoughts are with the child and the family at this time."
Meanwhile, some local residents living near the scene of the accident said they were shocked but not surprised by the tragic collision that left the boy fighting for his life.
Eve Daly, (33) who lives in the O'Growney Terrace housing estate adjacent the busy road said locals have been calling for an overpass for years to make the crossing safer for pedestrians.
"That road can be very dangerous. There's a lot of foot traffic but so many people cross at the wrong place," she said.
"You have to cross over three times using a pedestrian crossing but people just cross over," she said.
Her 50-year-old neighbour said it's also dangerous for local motorists who have to manoeuvre around heavy traffic to get out of the estate, "It's lethal to get out of here," he said.
"The cars come flying around the corner,"he said.
"It's an accident waiting to happen."
The road is currently closed to facilitate the forensics to carry out their investigation and local diversions are in place.
Gardaí in Navan are currently investigating the incident and are calling for anyone with information to come forward.