News

BBC poised to kicked Jeremy Clarkson out today

Clarkson verbally abused Mr Tymon for 20 minutes before launching a 30-second physical assault
Clarkson verbally abused Mr Tymon for 20 minutes before launching a 30-second physical assault

Jeremy Clarkson's future remains unclear after one newspaper reported that the BBC is on the verge of sacking him.

The Top Gear presenter has been left in limbo for two weeks since the corporation announced his suspension following what it described as "a fracas" with producer Oisin Tymon.

A BBC spokesman said: "No decision has been made. When we have an outcome, we will announce it."

But the Daily Telegraph said the corporation's director general Lord Hall was expected to announce the star's sacking today after considering an internal investigation.

According to the broadsheet, the inquiry, led by BBC Scotland boss Ken MacQuarrie, concluded that Clarkson verbally abused Mr Tymon for 20 minutes before launching a 30-second physical assault at a luxury Yorkshire hotel.

Senior BBC executives are attempting to convince Radio 2 Breakfast Show host Chris Evans to take over his role on Top Gear, sources told the newspaper.

But Evans has previously ruled himself out of the running, saying: "I can categorically say I am not and will never be running for office. Please discount my candidacy."

Clarkson left his London flat in a taxi around 4.40pm yesterday and when asked if he had heard from the BBC, he told reporters: "Nothing. Not a sausage."

The presenter, alongside co-hosts James May and Richard Hammond, was scheduled to take part in four live Top Gear shows in Norway this week, but it was announced on Sunday they had been postponed.

On the same day, Clarkson described his week as "turbulent" and claimed he was joking when he appeared to criticise BBC bosses during an expletive-laden rant at a charity event.

The beleaguered presenter appeared to suggest he may be sacked from the BBC Two show and criticised the corporation's executives.

Clarkson said he was told off by his lawyer after his on-stage speech at the charity gala in north London was captured on video.

Clarkson told those gathered at the event: "To be in the audience of Top Gear there was an 18-year waiting list. You know the BBC has f***** themselves, and so who gives a f***?

"It was a great show and they f***** it up."

He is reported to be considering new shows, including a programme about a novice trying to run a farm.

Clarkson tweeted his thanks to supporters of a petition, delivered by tank to BBC headquarters in London on Friday, but declared in his column in The Sun that "protest never works".

He also found another celebrity supporter after London mayor Boris Johnson, a former Top Gear guest, told LBC Radio: "I'm instinctively pro-Clarkson, basically because he is one of those guys who somehow fuels lefty indignation, whatever he does.

"I have an automatic presumption of innocence in his case."

Meanwhile, with money-spinning show Top Gear off air during the internal investigation, May has been tweeting about getting to grips with life without work to distract him.

He wrote at the weekend: "Woodwork tasks today. Being jobless allows you to revisit old interests, learn new things, and listen to the radio more. Sold the telly."

May had previously told his fans: "I've been given some heavy gardening work today. Temptation to cut my own head off with the chainsaw may prove too strong. StillUnemployed."