Flights resuming at Dublin Airport following blaze

The major fire at Dublin Airport
The major fire at Dublin Airport

Flights have resumed at Dublin Airport following a major fire that engulfed a hangar.

Runways have reopened and the temporarily suspended flights are now beginning to depart. 

No one was injured in the blaze which broke out in a maintenance facility at the airport shortly after 7am, forcing the runways to be closed.

Services in and out of the airport were suspended after the incident, with officials urging passengers to contact their airline for the most up-to-date information.

Airport fire crews were tasked to the hangar after the fire was reported at around 7am.

The Dublin Airport Authority said its own crews were first on scene with other units from Dublin dispatched.

The fire is in a hangar in a restricted area of the airport, which is separate from the passenger facilities.

The last plane to land at the airport was a Ryanair flight from Leeds Bradford Airport at 7.26am while the last departure before the airport closed was also a Ryanair service to Wroclaw at 7.25am.

Authorities said the blaze was brought under control just after 8.20am. 

Dublin Fire Brigade units from Finglas, Swords and Kilbarrack were at the scene battling the blaze.

The fire broke out in the roof of hangar three. Two planes were inside the unit at the time, both short-haul 146 aircraft, one of which was believed to have been operated by CityJet. There were no reports of injuries as a result of the fire, an airport spokeswoman said.

Fire chiefs reported that the blaze had been contained by about 8.15am. "All flight operations were suspended because all emergency services have been brought to fight the fire and as a result if something happens on the airfield the fire cover is not available. This is standard procedure," the spokeswoman said.

Airlines were initially told the airport would remain closed for several hours, possibly up until midday, after operations were cancelled.

Dozens of arrivals and departures were affected, some by as much as four hours.

Major delays are expected as a result and travellers are being urged to contact their airline before flying. 

Dublin Airport Authority said flights in and out of the capital were suspended for about 90 minutes at one of the busiest times of the day.

"Due to the disruption, there are likely to be knock-on delays to flights this morning and passengers are advised to check with their airline regarding their flight status," the airport said.

"Dublin Airport regrets any inconvenience to passengers as a result of this incident."

The DAA confirmed 10 flights due to land at the airport while the fire was being fought were diverted, with six landing at Shannon and four in Belfast.

Three services were cancelled.

Hangar three is used by Eirtech Aviation, an aircraft maintenance firm, and it is understood planes were in the hangar for paint jobs.