20 cows die in Kerry after contact with discarded batteries
Gardai are investigating the deaths of 20 cows in North Kerry that died after ingesting lead from old batteries that had been thrown into field.
Locals gathered to help search the roadside field at Meelcon near Tarbert, where the herd was grazing on Friday.
Gardaí investigating the incident have appealed again for information from the public.
Chairman of the IFA in Kerry Sean Brosnan said the cattle “died a horrible death,” while others had been blinded from the lead poisoning.
Some 46 calves were in the field at the time.
Gardaí conducting door to door enquiries in the Tarbert area said they were keeping an open mind on whether the battery pieces were discarded carelessly by a passer-by as rubbish or dumped deliberately to target the cattle.
The family who own the field, farmers Ned O’Hanlon and his son Patrick O’Hanlon, were said to be very upset at the loss.
Most of the family was in Germany at a family wedding when the incident took place.