Simon Cowell: The Voice doesn't scare me
Simon Cowell isn't worried that ITV will replace The X Factor with newly acquired show The Voice.
On Monday (23Nov15) it was confirmed that ITV has secured The Voice from rival channel BBC from 2017. It comes after mentor Rita Ora jumped ship from the BBC talent show earlier this year to join Simon and co on The X Factor. While many have been left guessing about how exactly both singing competitions can run on the same network, Simon reveals he's not worried.
"We've had a conversation with them," he told Britain's Metro newspaper. "Their show, The Voice, is 11 weeks - ours is 20 weeks. It's ballsy to take this show with these numbers and replace it with something that hasn't rated so well. I don't think it's going to be an issue."
While The X Factor has always been a ratings winner for the channel, the viewing figures have been dropping each year, with the 2015 show boasting an 11-year ratings low. Simon's keen to shake things up to claw back viewers.
"We might do a slight change on something in the final that makes it a bit more about what happens on the night," he teased.
X Factor presenters Olly Murs and Caroline Flack have also failed to impress after taking over from Dermot O'Leary. In particular Olly's slip up when he announced the wrong result on a show earlier this month (Nov15) drew widespread criticism from fans.
"We laughed about it afterwards," Simon insisted. "There were a lot of people screaming in his ears. They were trying to get him to clarify something. Anyone in that situation is going to screw up. The way he handles it, that's part of his charm - he's got massive future."
Former judge Louis Walsh doesn't see it that way though.
"Olly Murs in slow motion calling out the wrong name, then apologising madly to Simon - that was great telly!" Louis told OK! magazine. "But Dermot would never have made a mistake like that. But then Olly’s a pop star pretending to be a presenter."
- Cover Media