Simon Cowell bringing back X Factor live audience

TVBy Sunday World
Simon Cowell bringing back X Factor live audience

Simon Cowell will bring back the live audience as part of his 'X Factor' shake up.

The 55-year-old music mogul - who has promised to drastically alter this year's series in a bid to boost falling ratings - has reportedly scrapped the one on one audition rooms in which contestants sing in front of the judges and will instead ask hopefuls to sing in front of a live audience.

While the private rooms had been a staple on the singing competition from 2004, they were replaced with arena auditions in 2008 before fans called for them to return four years later.

A source said: "Simon always preferred the big arenas for the auditions as he likes having the audience there as a fifth judge.

"The X Factor isn't just about vocals - it's about how you perform and entertain a crowd, so it makes sense to go back to the arenas and everyone on the show agrees."

Simon is said to be "determined" to make this year's series better than ever.

The insider told The Sun newspaper: "Simon said there would be changes this year and he is determined to make this one of the best years ever.

"Viewing figures weren't bad last series, but they weren't up to his high standards, so he is going to do everything he can to put that right."

And it isn't just the audition rooms which have been axed by Simon. Judge Mel B has also left the show following her stint alongside Simon, Louis Walsh and Cheryl Fernandez-Versini last year.

While Louis' future still hangs in the balance, multiple names have been tipped to take up a place on the panel including Demi Lovato and even 'X Factor' alumnus Louis Tomlinson.

Olly Murs and Caroline Flack have also been announced as the replacement for exiting host Dermot O'Leary.