Ola Jordan slams Melvin Odoom's 'unfair' Strictly Come Dancing exit
Ola Jordan has blasted Strictly Come Dancing bosses for sending Melvin Odoom home, labelling his exit "completely unfair".
The Kiss FM host found himself at the bottom of the scoreboard on Sunday night (02Oct16) after failing to impress the judges with his routine. However, while his position would usually lead to a dance off with the other lowest scoring celebrity, Anastacia suffered an injury involving the tearing of scar tissue following her double mastectomy in 2013 - leading to the dance off being cancelled.
Host Claudia Winkleman told viewers that the rules of the show state that if a contestant is physically unable to perform in the dance off, the decision refers back to the public vote which, in this case, led to Melvin's exit.
Since then, viewers have complained in their thousands about Melvin's departure from the series, with former Strictly professional dancer Ola among those who disagreed with the decision to send the DJ home.
"It’s completely unfair," she told the Daily Mirror. "The reason the judges have the last say on the dance off is because they want a better dancer to go through. If they couldn’t have done a dance off then they should have put two couples through and done a double elimination next week, to give Melvin another chance. Melvin wasn’t given the chance to dance. I felt sorry for him. If the BBC is all about fairness then be fair. Anastacia went through a horrible time but Strictly is full on. That’s just the way it is.”
It has also been claimed that judge Bruno Tonioli was so angry about the decision to cancel the dance off that he walked out of the studio, got in his car and demanded to be taken home.
The Daily Star newspaper claims that producers had to persuade Bruno to return to his seat on the panel to continue filming.
Meanwhile, Anastacia will be competing on next weekend's Strictly, after being given the all-clear from doctors to perform.
- Cover Media