EntertainmentTV

Louis Walsh: 'I got bored watching Strictly Come Dancing'

TVBy Sunday World
Louis Walsh: 'I got bored watching Strictly Come Dancing'

Louis Walsh had no idea who the contestants were on last year's (15) Strictly Come Dancing.

The 64-year-old music manager is returning to the judging panel of The X Factor for this year's series (16), alongside Sharon Osbourne, Simon Cowell and Nicole Scherzinger.

The TV talent show annually faces competition from the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing, but Louis has insisted in a new interview with The Sun that he doesn't understand why there is such a fan base for the celebrity dance show.

"Listen, I watched Strictly last year," he told the newspaper. "I found it boring. I got bored after a while, it was like, ‘Oh god, who are they and what are they doing?"

Last year's Strictly saw former The Wanted singer Jay McGuiness win the Glitterball trophy, while the other contestants included broadcaster Jeremy Vine, chef Ainsley Harriott and Coronation Street star Georgia May Foote.

While this year's line-up looks set to be one of the most exciting to date, with stars including Louise Redknapp, Will Young and politician Ed Balls confirmed for the show, Louis isn't worried about the competition.

"The X Factor is the most talked about show on TV, everyone talks about The X Factor, no one talks about Strictly," he added.

Despite the 2016 panel for The X Factor seeing the reunion of Louis and Sharon, as well as the return of the "sh-amazing" Nicole, it has drawn some criticism for being the oldest panel for the show - with a combined age of 221 years.

However, Louis insists that with age comes experience, and he has no doubt the new series will be a corker when it returns to screens on 27 August (16).

"This year we bring experience. Sharon’s been around a long time, I’ve been around a long time, we know our music," he said. "We know the politics of music, we know how record companies work. We also know what people are going to like."

- Cover Media