BBC boss refuses to rule out Jeremy Clarkson return

TVBy Sunday World
BBC boss refuses to rule out Jeremy Clarkson return

A senior BBC figure says Jeremy Clarkson could return to the corporation in the future.

The 54-year-old 'Top Gear' presenter was dropped by the broadcaster yesterday (25.03.15) after an inquiry into an altercation between him and producer Oisin Tymon resulted in the director general Tony Hall concluding that he'd "crossed a line", but BBC creative director Alan Yentob has refused to rule out Clarkson making a return in the future.

He told 'Newsnight': "Of course I wouldn't rule that out, but that's not for now."

The BBC has so far refused to officially comment on the futures of fellow 'Top Gear' presenters Richard Hammond and James May, who have worked together on the show since 2003.

However, Yentob said it was "perfectly natural" for the presenters to have reservations about continuing with the programme.

He reflected: "They are a team - they have worked together for a very long time, they are all very attached.

"The question of what happens next for Top Gear is a conversation which must go on between the controller of BBC Two Kim Shillinglaw, between Andy [Wilman - producer of Top Gear], and the team."

Meanwhile, Hammond tweeted on Wednesday (25.03.15): "Gutted at such a sad end to an era. We're all three of us idiots in our different ways but it's been an incredible ride together."