On its 15th birthday, Wikipedia in numbers
Open-source encyclopaedia Wikipedia has turned 15, climbing from small non-profit to one of the most visited websites in the world.
To mark the anniversary, the site has revealed some of the key numbers around its rise as an online resource.
- One - The number of languages, English, the site launched in. This rose to 18 by the end of its first year
- 290 - The number of languages Wikipedia now says its articles are available in
- 85% - Percentage of articles in languages other than English
- 80,000 - Volunteers around the world who edit and improve Wikipedia articles each month
- 15,000 - Edits made to articles every hour
- 7,000 - New articles created each day
- 36 million - Articles on Wikipedia today
- 374 million - Unique visitors to the website every month, as of September