EntertainmentTrending

Man dies from the mould inside his bagpipes

TrendingBy Sunday World
Man dies from the mould inside his bagpipes

A man has died from the mould inside his bagpipes.

The 61-year-old man, who practised the instrument every day, had been ill for a number of years after inhaling pathogens had caused inflammation and irreversible scarring.

Doctors discovered the bagpipes may have been causing his illness when he travelled abroad for a few months without the instrument and found his condition improved.

Doctor Jenny King who helped treat the piper told the BBC that if caught early, the symptoms could have been treated with a good prognosis.

She said: "Sadly, in his case, the damage was fatal. If you can diagnose these problems early and remove the trigger then they can be treated and the prognosis is really good."

Musicians are now being urged to clean their instruments regularly, and should consult a doctor if they develop a cough or breathlessness that may be linked to their practice.