Man dies after lighting firework on his head

TrendingBy Morgan Flanagan Creagh
Devon Staples
Devon Staples

A 22-year-old man died in a fireworks related tragedy while celebrating the Fourth of July.

Devon Staples placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, killing him instantly.

Mr Staples had been drinking with his friends on Saturday at a house in Calais, Maine, US.

His brother Cody Staples told the New York Daily Times that it was a freak accident.

"I was the first one who got there. There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there.

"It was a freak accident. But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh."

Mr Staples' death is the first fireworks fatality in Maine since the state legalised fireworks in 2012.