Donegal fisherman encounters military submarine for the second time in a year
A fisherman spoke to RTE Raidió na Gaeltachta this morning about his second close encounter with a submarine off the coast of Donegal, in less than a year.
Seán Briain, from Machaire Rabhartaigh said he was setting crab pots 14 miles northwest of Tory Island, last Thursday, when he came face to face with what appears to be an Astute-class Royal Navy submarine.
“Last Thursday about 11 am we were setting crab pots when we saw the submarine coming from the northwest. It went round in front of us, about 200 yards away,” Sean said.
“We were doing a speed of about 7 miles, and the general rule is that when a boat is setting pots or pulling pots, that other vessels are supposed to give us right of way. But not in this case. We needed to slow down to let the submarine pass.”
Mr Ó Briain said that they had spotted a submarine around this time last year as well, and that on that occasion they also needed to slow down to avoid it.
He said that they were lucky because they had daylight on both occasions and that they could see the submarine and change course to avoid it.
Yesterday the British Ministry of Defence admitted that a Royal Navy sub was responsible for damaging the Irish trawler Karen, last year. HERE