101-year-old man pulled from rubble eight days after Nepal earthquake
A 101-year-old man has been pulled alive from the rubble of his house in Nepal seven days after an earthquake hit the country, police said on Sunday.
Funchu Tamang was rescued on Saturday with only minor injuries and airlifted to a district hospital in Nuwakot district around 50 miles north-west of Kathmandu, said a local police officer, Arun Kumar Singh.
“He was brought to the district hospital in a helicopter. His condition is stable,” said Singh.
“He has injuries on his left ankle and hand. His family is with him.”
Police also rescued three women from beneath rubble on Sunday in Sindhupalchowk, one of the districts worst hit by the quake, although it was not immediately known how long they had been trapped
One had been buried by a landslide while the other two were under the rubble of a collapsed house.
“They are being taken to hospital for treatment,” said Suraj Khadka, an officer with the Armed Police Force in Kathmandu.
Nepal’s government had on Saturday ruled out finding more survivors buried in the ruins of the capital, Kathmandu.
Teams of rescuers from more than 20 countries have been using sniffer dogs and heat-seeking equipment to find survivors in the rubble. But outside the city search and rescue work has largely been carried out by local police and troops.
The UN has appealed for £274 million (415 million dollars) for its "flash appeal" to help those affected by the quake, which killed more than 7,000 people and injured thousands more.
Yesterday it was revealed eight Britons stranded in a monastery in disaster-hit Nepal had been rescued, a week after the devastating earthquake struck.
A team of humanitarian experts chartered a helicopter to get to the group, who were marooned at a remote mountainside religious retreat in Bihi, near Lho.