EntertainmentMusic

Foo Fighters cancel Glastonbury headline slot

MusicBy Sunday World
Foo Fighters cancel Glastonbury headline slot

The Foo Fighters have been forced to cancel their headline slot at Glastonbury Festival.

The rock group have announced that they will no longer be able to perform at the British festival as well as dates in Belgium, Edinburgh and London's iconic Wembley Stadium after frontman Dave Grohl broke his leg on stage last week.

In a post on their official website, the 46-year-old musician wrote: "It kills me to say it.....the doctors have told us to cancel shows. I'm really so sorry, guys. You know I hate to do it, but I'm afraid it's just not physically possible for me at the moment.

"We're doing our best right now to work out a plan, so bear with us. You know we're good for our word. But for now, I need to make sure we have YEARS of gigs ahead of us.... (sic)"

During his open letter to fans, Dave also recalled the accident which left him with six metal screws in his leg.

He wrote: "I definitely shredded something (ZING!) Wound up feet first over the Edge (pun intended), dropping about 12 feet, dislocating my ankle and snapping my fibula like an old pair of take out chopsticks. Whoopsie daisy. Not good ...

"As I lay there on my back, I just thought, "Are you kidding me? We haven't even gotten to the screamy bit of the song and the gig is f***ing OVER?" So, I asked for a microphone and told the audience I'd get fixed up and come right back to finish the show ASAP. Shock? Probably. But, I couldn't stand the thought of such a perfect night going to waste! (sic)"

In a statement, organisers at Glastonbury Festival have sent Dave their well-wishes.

They said: "We wish Dave Grohl all the best for a full and speedy recovery."