Aretha Franklin cancels gig

MusicBy Sunday World
Aretha Franklin cancels gig

Aretha Franklin has cancelled a concert in Las Vegas due to exhaustion.

The 73-year-old singer was due to perform at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace on Friday (14.08.15), but has pulled out after driving from Detroit to California for three shows.

She said in a statement: "I thank all of my fans, friends and supporters who bought tickets and hope to see you all soon. I extend my sincerest regrets."

Last year, Aretha threatened to sue author David Ritz - who ghostwrote her 1999 autobiography 'From These Roots' - over his unauthorised biography 'Respect'.

She said: ''There's a very trashy, trashy book on the street . . . It's lies, lies, lies and then more lies.

''I'm talking to a criminal attorney. If this isn't defamation, I don't know what would be.''

Aretha is believed to be upset about claims made about her sexual promiscuity on the 1950s gospel circuit, but the author - who narrates the new book through interviews with friends, family and associates - claims the material was cut from her autobiography.

Fellow singer Etta James is quoted as saying: ''I can understand Aretha not wanting to talk about that . . . Who wants to admit that you're praising the Lord at the 8 p.m. service and servicing some drop-dead gorgeous hunk of a singer an hour later? Aretha and I started out before we were teenagers . . . we wanted to experience it all. I wouldn't use the expression sexually active, I'd say sexually overactive.''